Global attention spans are narrowing and many if not all sports, including tennis, are looking at shorter formats that are both participants and fan-friendly.
Shorter formats are being trialed: ATP Next Generation in Milan (2017/18/19) – ‘Fast4 format’ and there have been various Tie-Break Tens events.
Fast4 format: Matches are ‘best-of-5-sets’ where sets are to 4 games with a tie-break at 3-all and no advantage points or let’s play.
Tie-Break Tens format: Matches are a single Match Tie-Break (10 points).
Thirty30 tennis is a new alternative shorter scoring format.
The Rules of Thirty30 are very simple:
- Every game starts at 30-all!
- i.e. 30-30, announced “Thirty-Thirty” – the clue is in the name Thirty30!
- The transition to and from Thirty30 from traditional scoring is seamless.
- Sets are completed in no longer than 20 minutes; ‘best-of-3 sets’ matches in 40-60 minutes and ‘best-of-5-sets’ in 60-90 minutes.
- Thirty30 match results look like: 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 whereas Fast4 match results look like: 4-1, 3-4, 4-2 and Tie-Break Tens: 10-7
- Thirty30 respects the traditions of sets to 6 games with a ‘Short Set’ tie-break at 6-all and the deuce/advantage points are still played.
For further information on trialing Thirty30 tennis click here.
Recent articles include:
Tennis TourTalk: “Thirty30 Tennis” – Where Every Point Really Counts”
Tennis World USA: “Thirty30 Tennis – The new kid on the block”
Insider Sport: “Mark Milne – Accelerating the evolution of tennis with the Thirty30 format”
There are almost 250 Testimonials on the Thirty30 website
Thirty30 Tennis – Where EVERY Point REALLY Counts!